Sunday, September 11, 2011

Small Versus Large

Hello again Readers and friends,
Jefferjean here. There has been a debate of small projects versus large. Would you rather make a lot of tiny small projects and feel the quick release of a project done or would you rather be dive into a large project and feel a great accomplishment when it is finished? I have found that if I am involved in a large project that I become bored with it quickly. Some projects look easy but are just time consuming. There are several unfinished objects (UFOs) sitting in a bin waiting for their turn to be finished. One of these is an overgrown king-sized blanket to be finished at some point. The UFOs in my bin are growing ever so quickly.
Recently I have put aside a half finished man's glove just to work up some smaller items.  The small items, such as the tiny socks I have made for a soon-to-be newborn, make it worth it. The quick joy of the small projects are beginning to pale in comparison to the amount of projects that need to be finished.
To keep things on track sometimes we need to put projects on a timeline with a set calendar date. Does this sound familiar? Maybe that essay you had to write for your Senior year English class, maybe even that thesis you needed for graduate school? I have yet to make it to graduate school, but my projects are needing that set timeline. By December 9th, a pair of baby boy's socks will need to be finished and mailed to Texas.  Before "deer season" the gloves I have mentioned being half "cooked" will be or should be done. By Christmas, through hell or high water, that overgrown King-sized blanket will be done. After that there will be a celebration for finishing off a monster. Just like toe-socks, I may never do a king sized blanket again or at least for a very long time. From this I have learned that small projects are meant for me. Pros can have all of the large projects that they can do. Hats, socks, and cardigans are for me! Hey, hey!
I would love to hear of your stories of a large UFO waiting in your to-do pile. Until then, this is Jefferjean signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment